1.How come to Meiho University?

2.The following information is provided by the Bankers Association of the ROC for reference. Detailed information is available at every individual bank.

3.How to apply Alien Resident Certificate(ARC)?

4.How to apply telecommunication connections?

5.How to apply Insurance?

6.How to apply Work Permit?

Question 1 
How come to Meiho University?

1 Take Southbound National Highway No.3 (Formosa Freeway) and exit at Linluo Exit. Then go to Provincial Highway No.1.
2 From Pingtung City, take southbound Provincial Highway No.1.
3 From Kaohsiung city, take Expressway No.88 and exit at Jhutian Exit .Then go to Provincial Highway No.1.
4 From Kaohsiung city, take Provincial Highway No.1 via Pingtung city to Chaojou.
Question 2 
The following information is provided by the Bankers Association of the ROC for reference. Detailed information is available at every individual bank.

Banking Services

The following information is provided by the Bankers Association of the ROC for reference. Detailed information is available at every individual bank.

1 Opening bank accounts

When opening a bank account, foreigners should present a valid passport and an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC). Those without an ARC should first apply for an “Identity (ID) number basic information certificate” at the police department nearest to their residence.

2 Application and usage of bankcards

2.1 After opening a bank account, foreigners may present a valid passport and the original signet (or signature) used to open the account to apply with the same bank for a bankcard [also called “FISC card” which is issued by all banks and post offices with the coordination of Financial Information Service Co. Ltd. (FISC), Taiwan's national operator for interbank information network services.] 

2.2 Usages of a bankcard: for withdrawing cash and transferring funds via the automated teller machines (ATMs) in the Republic of China (ROC). 

2.3 Cash withdrawal limits: based on the multiplication of “One hundred New Taiwan dollars” (NT$ 100) per unit. Each withdrawal at the ATM owned by the account holder's own bank is limited to NT$30,000 (The limit is NT$ 20,000 when using ATMs owned by other banks for cross-bank services). The total amount of withdrawals is limited to NT$100,000 in one single day by most banks.

2.4 Fund transfer limits: except for when a higher amount is set by the bank and the cardholder when applying for the bankcard, fund transfers are limited to NT$ 30,000 each time. When a cardholder sees the need for a higher transfer amount, he/she should first sign an agreement with his/her bank to set a ceiling. But the maximum amount should not exceed NT$ 2 million per transfer. (The daily transfer limit is set by individual banks.) 

2.5 Card loss: When a bankcard is lost, the customer may use the 24-hour automatic phone voice service to report the loss and immediately freeze the account (to prevent unauthorized cash withdrawals or fund diversions by someone who may have found the card). The customer then should go to the card-issuing bank during office hours to file a written report to temporarily freeze the account and at the same time apply for a new card.

2.6 Card replacement fee: Each bank may charge a fee when a customer applies for a bankcard, reports a loss of a card, and applies for a new card. Check with each bank for the charge.

3 Automatic collection/payment services:

People who have already opened deposit accounts or savings accounts may present the original signet (or signature) used to open the accounts and a photocopy of a payment slip to apply with the same bank for services to pay public utilities fees for water, electricity, household natural gas, phone bills, etc. (Upon agreement, the bank will automatically make deductions from the accounts to pay the fees for the customers, who will receive only receipts from the utilities companies later on.)

4 Foreign exchange services:

When making foreign exchange transactions, foreigners should present their passport or ARC to the designated bank branches that are authorized to offer foreign exchange services. Each bank will charge service fees for purchases and sales of foreign currencies as well as for mail or telecommunication costs.

5 Foreign currency deposits:

When in need of opening foreign currency deposit bank accounts, please follow the same procedures as those of opening Taiwan currency accounts as explained in Item (1) above. The rules for foreign currency transactions are the same as explained in Item (4) above.

Question 3
How to apply Alien Resident Certificate(ARC)?

Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)

1 Resident Visa holders are required to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) at Foreign Affairs Section of Ping-Tung Immigration Office (ADD: No.185, Zihli Rd., Pingtung City; TEL: (08)7216665、7215417), within 15 days after arriving at Taiwan. They may stay in the ROC as long as the Alien Resident Certificate remains valid.

2 Documents & Fee Required for Alien Resident Certificate Application:

2.1 An application form

2.2 2 photos (only the new ARC applicant needed--2”, white background, newly taken within 3 months)

2.3 The original and one photocopy of the passport & resident visa. The original will be returned after verification.

2.4 The original and one photocopy of the Student ID (or admission letter for the first time).

2.5 Application fee: NT$1,000 per year

2.6 Working days required: 5 days

Attention: The applicant shall apply for extension within 10 days prior to the expiration of a visitor visa.

Question 4 
How to apply telecommunication connections?

Telephone and Communication


1 Local Calls

When applying for a local home phone, you will have to present your personal identification, including Alien Resident Certificate, passport or driver's license, at local Telecom Service Centers in person, accompanied by a Taiwanese native guarantor (ID Card and Health Insurance IC Card required). When making a local call, simply dial the local exchange and the subscriber's number. 
※Local Call Center: 123

2 Long Distance Calls

When making a long distance call, be sure to dial “0” and the area code first, and then the subscriber's number. For example, from Taipei to Kaohsiung, you have to dial 07+xxx-xxxx. For more information, please visit: http://www.cht.com.tw/CHTFinalE/Web/Personal.php?CatID=9

3 International Calls

3.1 You may directly dial an international call as follows: International Prefix Code (009 or 002) + Country Code + Area Code + Telephone no. For example: from Taiwan to New York in the U.S.A., you may dial 009 (or 002)+1+212+xxx-xxxx. The initial “0” of the area code is usually not required when dialing international calls. For example, Tokyo's area code is “03”, then, you only have to dial “3”.

3.2 Operator Toll Dialing Service: 100

3.3 Country codes, time difference and rates guide:

3.4 Call Center: 0800-080-100

4 Paying Your Telecom Bill

4.1 Your telecom monthly bill can be paid at places as follows:

4.2 Telecom Service Centers 

4.3 Banks and post offices 

4.4 Convenience Stores: 7-11, OK, Family Mart, Niko Mart and Hi-Life

4.5 Account Transfer by ATMs 

4.6 Internet (http://hineteng.hinet.net/product.htm) 

4.7 Phone Banks (Voice Payment): dial 412-1111 for service

4.8 Emome Paying by automatic transfer through your bank or postal account is the most convenient method.

4.8.1 For Billing Questions: 123

5 Mobile Calls

5.1 When applying for a mobile phone, you will have to present your personal identification, including Alien Resident Certificate, passport or driver's license, at Service Centers in person, accompanied by a Taiwanese native guarantor (ID Card and Health Insurance IC Card required). Collocated with CHT's Mobile telephone, you can buy a sale-offer handset. When making a mobile phone call, simply dial the 10-digit number. Example: 09xx-xxx-xxx (10 digits)

5.2 Call Center: 0800-080-090

5.3 For more information, please visit: http://www.cht.com.tw/CHTFinalE/Web/Personal.php?CatID=695 

6 Other Services

6.1 Local Home Phone Repair Service: 112

6.2 English Speaking Directory Assistant: 106

6.3 Internet Yellow Page: http://www.eyp.com.tw

6.4 For further information, please visit: http://www.cht.com.tw/CHTFinalE/Web/ 

7 Customer Service Toll-free number:

7.1 Chunghwa Telecom: 0800-080-090 http://www.cht.com.tw

7.2 Taiwan Mobile: 0809-000-852 http://www.twngsm.com.tw

7.3 Fareastone: 0800-035-550 http://www.ecarae.fetnet.com.tw

7.4 TransAsia: 0809-008-188 https://wwwesc.tat.com.tw/English/index.asp

7.5 KG Telecom: 0800-000-938 http://www.kgt.com.tw

Question 5 
How to apply Insurance?


All international students are required to join the Students Group Safety Insurance (NT$ 300 per semester) and the National Health Insurance (NT$659 per month).

The National Health Insurance will be effective after international students are issued the A.R.C. for over 4 months.

The National Heath Insurance will allow you to obtain covered medical services from NHI-affiliated hospitals and clinics. To avoid wasting medical resources, you are responsible for the registration fee and co- payment.

Insurance Policy Regulations

1 International students applying for first-time enrollment should submit the application to Committee for Academic Research and Cooperation, along with a copy of their Alien Resident Certificate.

2 Students leaving Taiwan (R.O.C.) after terminating the academic study ought to apply for the termination of NHI and pay the fees of national health insurance as well.

3 If international students will be staying in Taiwan (R.O.C.) after the termination of academic study, they should apply for a NHI rollout transfer and submit the Transfer Form to the local government office for continued coverage under NHI.

4 Foreign students planning to leave Taiwan (R.O.C.) for a period of time longer than 6 months should apply for NHI Suspension. The insurance premium won't need to be paid during this period. Foreign students must apply to reinstate the NHI upon returning to Taiwan. If the trip is shorter than 6 months, the NHI suspension will be terminated and payment for unpaid premiums will be required. 

You can get more detailed information at the Health Divivsion. (7799821, extension 8226 or 8554)

Question 6 
How to apply Work Permit?

Work Permit

1 Work permits for foreigners

1.1 Application: Foreigners who meet one of the following qualifications may apply for an employment permit with the CLA by the employer with related documents. Foreigners meeting one of the conditions stipulated in subparagraphs 1, 3, or 4 may apply individually:
(from the Employment Service Act, Article 51)

1.1.1 Refugees being granted residence.

1.1.2 Those who have been permitted to be employed in the ROC continuously for 5 years, have an address and have demonstrated decent behavior.

1.1.3 Those living with blood relatives of direct lineage who have a household registered in the ROC.

1.1.4 Those having obtained a right of permanent residency.

1.2 Required documents

1.2.1 Application form.

1.2.2 Photocopy of passport.

1.2.3 Photocopy of front and back of Alien Resident Certificate (or Alien Permanent Resident Certificate).

1.2.4 Original postal remittance receipt itemizing examination fees paid.

1.2.5 Photocopy of employment contract. (Not required for those who file their own applications.)

1.2.6 Photocopies of company manager's identification, company register, commercial registration certificate, factory registration, special business permit, etc. (Not required for those who file their own applications.)

1.2.7 Other related documents: Depending on different categories of status: Refugees: Photocopy of Refugee Certificate. (Not required for non-refugees) Foreigners having worked in Taiwan continuously for five years: Original of resident certificate from the last five years. Photocopy of work permits from the prior five consecutive years. Foreign spouses or foreigners living with blood relatives of direct lineage who are on a household registered in the ROC: Original household register transcript of blood relatives with whom the foreigners live that is issued within 3 months.

1.3 Attention

1.3.1 Applications filed by employers:

1.3.2 The maximum duration of the employment permit is three years, after which, employers who need to continue the employment should apply at the CLA to extend the work permit with the previously examined documents up to 60 days before the expiration of the permit. The permit for employment can be extended for one year.

1.3.3 Those changing their employers during the term of the permit must reapply.

1.4 Those applying individually:

1.4.1 The term of the work permit is restricted to the term of the resident permit. Foreigners should apply for an extension before their work permit expires. First apply for residence extension with the appropriate governing agency and then present documents to apply at the CLA to extend the work permit.

1.4.2 After such foreigners are issued a work permit from the CLA, they are not restricted to any particular employment during the term of the work permit and, if they change jobs, do not have to reapply for a new permit.